Mission Santa Bárbara was the tenth mission founded in the California mission chain. Although Father Serra dedicated the site in 1782, delays caused this Mission to be constructed after his death. Father Fermin Lasuen, who succeeded Father Serra, had the honor of actually founding the Santa Barbara Mission in 1784. This was the first of three missions planned for the Channel Islands area. Today, the mission looks much as it did when it was completed in 1820. Before that, three earlier churches on the site were all leveled by earthquakes. Besides the beauty of the church itself, with stately lines and Roman temple facade, it was and is noted for an elaborate water system of dams, reservoirs, and aqueducts. The only California mission with two similar towers, it is known as the "The Queen of Missions."
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This "Cameo-sized" mission is approximately 3"W x 3"D x 2"H.