Mission San Francisco de Asis, popularly called "Dolores" Mission, is located on San Francisco Bay. This mission was founded in 1776. Sixth in the chain of missions, it was founded at the same time as the presidio and the pueblo. The town, which eventually became San Francisco, was known as Yerba Buena. Although baptisms of Indians reached a relatively high number, activities at the mission were hindered by disaster and attrition. The damp climate and foggy weather caused poor agricultural output, and serious illnesses of the Indians. Because of the attractive life enjoyed by many of the other Indians who lived in the area, runaway Indian converts were probably the biggest problem for the padres at the mission. The church as it appears today is a much loved, familiar landmark to the people of San Francisco. It was rebuilt in 1791, and remains little changed today. The Mission de Oro Collection miniature looks the same as the mission church does today.
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This “Cameo-sized” mission is approximately 3"W x 3"D x 2"H.