Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, founded in 1771, was fourth in the mission chain. The church was an impressive structure in the Moorish style. A side campanario, or side bell wall, holds six magnificent bells. The mission, at the height of existence, had no rivals in all of its various enterprises. In wine making, grain production, fruit production and the like, the mission stayed well ahead of the rest. A graveyard for more than 6,000 Indians is a sad part of Mission San Gabriel. Today the mission is the most informative for travelers in the Los Angeles area. Distinctive architectural features, such as the long narrow windows and capped buttresses, have been described as "fortress style" architecture. These are also seen in the Mission de Oro miniature.
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This “Cameo-sized” mission is approximately 3"W x 3"D x 2"H.