San Francisco "Solano" Mission in Sonoma was the last to be founded, in 1823, and the northernmost. It was located so far north by the last of the Spanish Franciscans, Father Jose Altimira, to help push the Russians out of the area. After all the fears, the Russians surprised everyone by donating a bell and other copper utensils. Father Altimira hoped that a warmer, sunnier site away from the cold and dampness of the Bay Area would keep the Indian converts healthier. However, it served as a mission for only a short time. Secularization overtook the mission and it later became an ordinary parish church. Today, it is a state historical park with a small museum. The Mission de Oro miniature is the same as the mission chapel erected in the early 1840's.
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This “Standard-sized” mission is approximately 7"W x 5"D x 3"H.