Mission San José, fourteenth mission in the chain, was founded by Father Lasuen in 1797. Originally planned as a base for military operations to control the troublesome tribes of the inland valleys, it eventually became one of the most successful missions in the entire chain. From the number of converts to the size of livestock holdings and agriculture production, the mission was ranked third. Mission San José also became known for its music. Father Narciso Duran worked for 27 years at the mission. He excelled at music and organized an elaborate Indian orchestra. The mission later became a parish church. A complete restoration, using real adobe bricks and other methods and tools that gave an authentic appearance of style of the 1830's, was finally completed in 1985. The 1830's styling is also seen in the Mission de Oro miniature.
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This “Standard-sized” mission is approximately 7"W x 5"D x 3"H.