The San Juan Capistrano Mission was founded by Father Junípero Serra in 1776. Referred to as "The Jewel of the Missions,'' it is perhaps the best known of all the missions. The most famous feature of the mission are the swallows (Las Golandrinas) who return every year on March 19, "St. Joseph's Day'' to build their mud nests for the annual brood. The original stone church, completed in 1806, was built in the shape of a cross and had vaulted ceilings, seven domes, and four bells elevated in a 120 foot tall tower. After only six years, a severe earthquake destroyed the church and the bell tower. The little original adobe church, called "Father Serra's Chapel'' was restored and continues today as a parish church. The miniature San Juan Capistrano Mission is a combination of the old original church as it was, and the present day chapel and ruins.
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This "Cameo-sized" mission is approximately 3"W x 3"D x 2"H.