Carmel Mission was the second mission founded by Father Junipero Serra in California. Considered by many to be the most beautiful of all the California missions, it was founded in 1770 by Monterey Bay. In its beautiful setting against the sea and river, and with its strong sense of history, and appealing architecture, Carmel Mission satisfies the visitor and student as no other mission can. Father Serra made his headquarters at Carmel Mission, and looked after the growing chain of missions until his death in 1784. He is buried within the walls of the original adobe church, around which the new stone church was built in 1793. Restoration of the mission, as it is seen today, was begun in 1930. Early architectural influence from Spain is exemplified by the Moorish tower and beautiful star window seen in both the Mission de Oro miniature and the real life mission.
Painstakingly sculpted by hand, then reproduced in cold-cast porcelain, each Mission de Oro collectible contains the minute details that remind us of their pastoral history. Towering palm trees shelter colorful gardens while red-tiled roofs keep the rain off white stucco walls – each mission tells a warm story of California history.
This “Standard-sized” mission is approximately 7"W x 5"D x 3"H.